Drones in different sizes, shapes, designs are trending now in the internet and I’ve posted a few here in my tech blog. Today, I’m going to share one of the latest and advanced drone called Solo by 3D Robotics.
At this point of time, Solo is one of the most advanced consumer drone ever created because of its awesome features such as camera automation and the ability to stream video feed from the action cameras attached to it directly to your mobile device via 3D robotic’s latest 3-axis Solo gimbal (optional).
Solo Drone is a smart quadcopter as you can draw a line on your smartphone’s screen, and it will fly back and forth along that line while capturing the footage. There is also an “Orbit” mode where it will fly a perfect circle, while the action camera focus on your subject as it rotates.
There is also a “selfie” mode to take an ultra-dramatic selfie video. Lastly, one of the best feature of this smart drone is it’s an open platform, meaning hobbyist or enthusiasts with drones can improve/modify/customize the hardware and software.
Solo drone was created to improve the user experience, without you doing much of anything as most of it will be done by Solo automatically which I guess will be ideal for both professionals and beginners.
The Solo 3dr drone launch date is on May for $1000 or $1400 with GoPro-holding gimbal.
- Maximum Speed 55 mph / 88.5 km/h
- Maximum Altitude 400′ / 121.9 m AGL
- Flight Time Up to 25 minutes (20 with camera and Solo Gimbal)
Flight Control System
- Model Pixhawk 2
- Software APM flight control software
- GPS Yes
- Frequency Not specified by manufacturer
- Display Color Screen for menu and live flight telemetry
- Battery Chemistry: Lithium-polymer
- Battery Capacity: 5200 mAh
- Voltage: 14.8 VDC Life: Up to 4 hours
FPV and Monitoring
- Video Downlink Latency: 180 ms
- Connectivity 1 x HDMI output on Transmitter
- Rotors 4 x 10 x 4.5″ / 25.4 x 11.4 cm self-tightening props
- Motors Velocity Constant: 880 kV
- Gimbal Compatibility Solo Gimbal for HERO3+ and HERO4
- Model Solo Battery
- Chemistry Lithium-polymer
- Capacity 5200 mAh
- Voltage 14.8 VDC