Microsoft has finally entered the tablet battle against other companies by creating its own tablet called Surface at a press event in Los Angeles. Microsoft Surface tablet will be the very first hardware made by the company that will use their own operating system, not the old OS but the newest generation known as Windows 8 operating system.
The Surface was designed to compete with Apple’s iPad, Galaxy Tab, Nexus 7, Kindle Fire, and many more tablet in the market right now. The tablet comes in two versions: RT and Pro model.
Surface RT Tablet Summary
- Processor: NVIDIA Tegra-based ARM chip
- Weight: 676 grams
- Thickness: 9.3 millimeters
- Display: 10.6-inch ClearType HD capactive touchpanel
- Battery: 31.5Wh
- I/O: microSD, USB 2.0, Micro HD Video, 2×2 MIMO antennae
- Software: Windows RT + Office Home & Student 2013 RT
- Accessories: Touch Cover, Type Cover, VaporMg Case & Stand
- Capacity: 32GB / 64GB
Surface Pro Tablet Summary
- Processor: Intel Core i5 (Ivy Bridge)
- Weight: 903 grams
- Thickness: 13.5 millimeters
- Display: 10.6-inch ClearType Full HD (1080p) capactive touchpanel
- Battery: 42Wh
- I/O: microSDXC, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort, 2×2 MIMO antennae
- Software: Windows 8 Pro
- Accessories: Touch Cover, Type Cover, VaporMg Case & Stand, Pen with Palm Block
- Capacity: 64GB / 128GB
To elaborate more of the cool features of the Surface tablet – both the versions have built-in accelerometers in their keyboards – when the touch-type ‘cover’ pad are folded back, they stop drawing power. The good thing about its keyboard – it also serve as the cover for the tablet when not in use and you can choose from different colors not just the plain black.
Also the tablet will be featuring a new touch-friendly interface dubbed “Metro” similar to that in Windows Phone. The new interface is designed to better suit touchscreen input, along with traditional mouse and keyboard input.
Lastly, as you can see it has a kickstand which folds outward to support the tablet and hold it in up-slant position. So no need to buy extra accessories, you can feel comfortable doing your work like the old days using your desktop computer.
Pricing and availability according to Wikipedia, the Surface will be available with general availability of Windows 8, which will launch on October 26, 2012. The Surface Pro will be available three months after that. About the pricing, according to rumors (not confirmed by Microsoft), as of late July 2012, the most recent estimates of pricing are $599 for the RT model and $999 for the Pro model.